Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Favorite Things

Things I can't live without:

1.  My truck.  For many people, their vehicle or mode of transportation is simply that.  It is a way to get from point A to point B with a certain level of comfort.  Sometimes there are some other considerations like fuel economy, level of luxury, or simple functionality.  I spend almost every day using my truck.  For me, it is a snapshot or a small glimpse into my lifestyle.  Being a larger vehicle, it is physically similar to me.  It provides a commanding view of the road and has the ability to carry large amounts of cargo.  It is a four wheel drive truck that provides the opportunity to go places that do not necessarily have paved roads like isolated camping spots.  I think there is a level of freedom associated with that ability, even if 90% of my driving is on-highway driving.

2.  My phone.  Most people cannot go more than 15 minutes without using a smartphone.  I am no different.  It represents a convergence of functions that allow me to complete tasks that used to be quite difficult or time consuming.  In a very real sense, it connects me to current events, news, and my family.  I use it for email, and finding information.  Occasionally, I even make an actual phone call with it.  While this is all useful, the reason it is so important is that it allows me tiny snippets of family time during my day.  I could do without the information and digital leash.  In fact, sometimes I try to avoid having it.  I cannot do without the occasional picture of my daughter playing with the dog or of something my wife saw at work.  My phone provides the opportunity to get those pictures.

3.  My Stetson.  The Stetson Cavalry Hat is a tradition that has been in the US Army since the 1800s.  Robert Duval's character in Apocalypse Now and Greg Kinnear's character in We Were Soldiers wear the iconic hat.  For me, it is a representation of my service in the US Army as a combat helicopter pilot.  Plus…it looks really cool!

Things I care about:

1.  My motorcycle.  I bought my Harley Davidson motorcycle in 2005 when I was young and single.  I love riding it around the Central Texas twisties on cool days.  Since gaining a family, this has transitioned more to a hobby than a true passion as I have seen the dangers associated with a motorcycle and have so much more to lose now.  Nonetheless, it is still great to get out on a cool day and ride.

2.  My bed.  I have spent years, literally, sleeping in tents on a cot.  Now that I am out of the military, I take some things very seriously.  A comfortable bed is one of those things.  I spent more than most would on my bed because I figured that I owe it to myself to get as far away from a cot as possible.

3.  My TV.  I spend a considerable amount of time watching TV.  Much like my bed, I made an investment in my entertainment because I have had to go without for so long.  I watch my TV to get the morning and evening news, watch a few crime dramas and comedies, and sports on the weekends.  One of the things I most enjoy about the large, crisp display, is watching documentaries on aviation, nature, and space.


I get a majority of my news from watching the morning and evening local and national news stations. I read the Wall Street Journal online every morning before class to stay current on events that impact the business world.  Occasionally, I'll hear a news story on the radio or in class that prompts me to look online for the article.

I am a person that is dependent on routine.  I tend to change my daily schedule very little.  I wake each morning, watch the news, get ready for school and head to class, trying to beat traffic.  I usually pack a lunch and head home after class.  The evening is the best part of my day.  I get to spend time with my wife and our new baby.  We usually go for a walk, then I go to work out at the local gym.  We finish the evening with dinner and putting the baby to bed.  Most of my activity is based on convenience.  The news I watch is in my living room with little effort required on my part.  The worst part of my day is the hour and a half that I spend in traffic each day.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vic - This is another good one. I felt like I'm getting close to really good insights here and was immediately thinking of some follow-up questions I'd ask if I was sitting on the other side of the table doing this research with you. Did you draw those items on the Close-To-You exercise? Impressive! I'm also impressed that you are doing all of this school stuff while being married and raising a newborn! Good stuff here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete